If you have a Windows 10/8.x/7/vista installation ISO/WIM/ESD/SWM, a VHD/VHDX file which have Windows 10/8.x/7/vista installed, or a Windows 10/8.x/7/vista installation CD/DVD, you can use WinToHDD to install Windows onto disks (HDD/SSD) other than the one where your Windows operating system is installed.
Using WinToHDD to install Windows:
- Click to open the WinToHDD installation file. Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install WinToHDD.
- Please use the following guidelines to prepare the partitions on the destination hard disk drive.
- Booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to MBR partition scheme then create the system and boot partitions. The system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- Booting BIOS-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to MBR partition scheme and create the system and boot partitions. The system partition can be FAT32 or NTFS format and the boot partition must be NTFS format. The system partition and boot partition can be the same partition.
- Booting UEFI-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to GPT partition scheme and create the EFI system partition (ESP) and boot partition. The EFI system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- The destination boot partition must be 20% larger than the used space on source boot partition.
- If the destination system partition is FAT32 format, then it must be greater than or equal to 40 MB and less than or equal to 32 GB.
- Run WinToHDD as administrator, then click the button.
- Please use the following guidelines to prepare your installation source.
- Installing from an ISO/WIM/ESD/SWM/VHD/VHDX File: Click the button, then click the button and select the ISO/WIM/ESD/SWM/VHD/VHDX file from the open dialog box.
- Installing from a DVD drive: Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD into your CD/DVD drive. Once the CD/DVD is being detected in Windows, then click button and select the CD/DVD drive in the drop-down list. If your CD/DVD drive is not correctly recognized by WinToHDD, you need to click the button for the program to recognize the CD/DVD drive.
- WinToHDD scans for and lists installable operating systems. If you see the edition of Windows you want to install, select it, then click "Next".
- Select the destination disk in the drop-down list, then select the boot partition and system partition from the partition list, the selected partitions will be marked as red.
- Click "Next". After clicking "Next", WinToHDD begins installing Windows.
- It takes some time to install. After installation restart the computer and change BIOS to boot from your hard disk drive.
- Windows installation starts up and you have to complete all the installation steps. You will have to boot from your hard disk drive if the Windows Installation restarts the computer.
Follow these simple steps, you can install Windows onto disks other than the one where your Windows operating system is installed with WinToHDD easily.