Hasleo Software Forums
HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - Printable Version

+- Hasleo Software Forums (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hasleo Software (formerly called EasyUEFI Development Team) (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hasleo Backup Suite (Free Windows Backup & Restore Software) (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? (/showthread.php?tid=2028)

Pages: 1 2

HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - OldNavyGuy - 06-09-2024

I noticed there are two manifests for VC++ 2008 in C:\Program Files\Hasleo\Hasleo Backup Suite\bin

Microsoft.VC90.ATL.manifest

Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest

This went EOL for extended support a long time ago.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - admin - 06-09-2024

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say? Extended support for VC++ 2008 has indeed been discontinued, but it still works fine, especially for developing software that needs to work on older Windows operating systems such as Vista and Windows 7.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - OldNavyGuy - 06-09-2024

(06-09-2024, 10:12 AM)admin Wrote: Extended support for VC++ 2008 has indeed been discontinued, but it still works fine, especially for developing software that needs to work on older Windows operating systems such as Vista and Windows 7.

All of which no longer receive security updates from Microsoft (0patch does offer security updates for Windows 7)...

The current VC++ 2015-2022 Redistributable supports Windows 7, so I was a little surprised to see the manifests for 2008...and more surprised that HBS supports Vista and XP.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - admin - 06-09-2024

I'm sorry that software developers don't usually use recent versions of development toolss, because developers are usually more familiar with older versions of development tools, and some previously completed development libraries are done with older versions of development tools, and migrating these libraries to newer versions of development tools takes a lot of time. We analyzed competitors' products and all seem to be using older versions of VS, as shown below:
Aomei: VS 2005
EaseUS: VS 2008
Macrium: VS 2012 (supposedly, not quite sure)

Please note that VS is just a development tool, so software users don't need to pay too much attention to it. More recent versions of the development tool offer more features, such as support for the latest C++ standard, which can be beneficial to developers, but in fact it can be a double-edged sword, as not all developers know enough about the new features of C++, and therefore it can cause problems in the maintenance of the software. We have also considered using a newer version of VS to replace an older version, but we don't have the manpower to do it at the moment.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - OldNavyGuy - 06-10-2024

I don't use Aomei, EaseUS, or Macrium.

We're talking about HBS.

VS is a development tool, but VC++ Redistributables are a concern for software users.

Windows Update pushes security updates for them when needed...if they are still supported.

Since VC++ 2015-2022 is the lastest supported release, and also supports Windows 7, it seems that the only thing holding HBS to VC++ 2008 is support for Windows Vista and XP...rather than developer knowledge.

Having been a developer, I know we move to newer versions of technology pretty frequently.

I'm sure your developers are capable of the same.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - n8chavez - 06-10-2024

Wow do you sound needlessly bitter! I suggest you have surgically extracted whatever is all up in you, cause something is causing your bad attitude.

You were given valid reasons why they use older Redistributables. If you don't like that explanation, that's on you. If you don't like or trust HBS don't use it. Problem solved. Move on.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - OldNavyGuy - 06-10-2024

(06-10-2024, 03:37 PM)n8chavez Wrote: Wow do you sound needlessly bitter!  I suggest you have surgically extracted whatever is all up in you, cause something is causing your bad attitude.

You were given valid reasons why they use older Redistributables.  If you don't like that explanation, that's on you.  If you don't like or trust HBS don't use it.  Problem solved.  Move on.

And you sound like a total dick, who doesn't know shit about development, or security.

Get off the forum for 5 minutes and read a book, do some research, and maybe one day you'll know what the fuck you're talking about...

Go pound sand.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - n8chavez - 06-10-2024

Just because I buy their explanation doesn't mean I don't know about security. I have multiple IT certifications. But that's irrelevant. The fact that this bothers you is fascinating to me. Why this? Why HBS. Did they somehow kill your family in some sort of kill bill-style vendetta, and you're the last survivor? Why is this so personal for you?

They are a small company giving out a free product. Why are you giving them grief?

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - chmichael - 06-11-2024

Well i think they should recompile with VS2022 as they have performance improvements over 2008 edition.

RE: HBS using deprecated VC++ runtime? - OldNavyGuy - 06-11-2024

(06-11-2024, 06:12 AM)chmichael Wrote: Well i think they should recompile with VS2022 as they have performance improvements over 2008 edition.

As well as security improvements.