Hasleo Software Forums
Merging images performance - Printable Version

+- Hasleo Software Forums (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hasleo Software (formerly called EasyUEFI Development Team) (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hasleo Backup Suite (Free Windows Backup & Restore Software) (https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Merging images performance (/showthread.php?tid=2149)

Merging images performance - chmichael - 09-29-2024

Hello,
  While the backup is fast the merging images can take hours on an external usb.

Any ideas how to speed it up ?
I keep the last 7 days.

Thank you

RE: Merging images performance - admin - 09-30-2024

The merge mechanism of Hasleo Backup Suite is as follows: first read data from the image files that needs to be merged, and then write the data to the new image file, so this usually takes a long time. We recommend that you check the "Always retain the first backup" option, because the first backup of the task is always a full backup, and it is time-consuming to merge a full backup with other backups.

RE: Merging images performance - chmichael - 10-02-2024

Seems with that option enabled it take more time.
I'll clean the backup on the Weekend and make a new full to see if will fix this.

RE: Merging images performance - Froggie - 10-03-2024

@chmichael - If you are using what's known as a "Forever Incremental" (my term), the option mentioned above will keep the initial FULL image from being merged forward in time (which is the most time consuming portion of the merge operation) after the merging starts.  BUT, it will still become very time consuming if all you're doing is allowing many INCREMENTALs to accumulate.  When you do this, the 1st INCREMENTAL will also start becoming very large over time.

The best approach to this is to schedule an occasional DIFFERENTIAL which allows the INCREMENTALS to start small once again as the merge moves along the time line.  Of course those DIFFERENTIALS will also start getting large over time since they represent all changes since the original FULL was taken.

To manage this type of System creep over time, many users use what's called a GFS approach (Grandfather, Father, Son) to the imaging requirement.  You first need to determine how much storage is required for your images, then determine how far back you need to protect your System (what's the earliest date I may ever need to restore my System to).

For me, I use the following... I don't need an image of my System any older than 2-mo.  I really don't want to merge a lot of INCREMENTALS (the bigger they get, the longer the merge operation takes) so I decide that during that 2-mo period, I would like to be able to return to any day in the last 7-days, and any week since the 2-mo old FULL was made.  I do this by setting up my scheduling to do a FULL on the first of each month at 5pm (setting my retention for FULLs at 2-mo), a DIFFERENTIAL on every Monday at 5pm (no retention setting), and an INCREMENTAL every night at 5pm (setting my retention to 7-days).  This allows me to always have 2-3 months of FULLs, all DIFFERENTIALS during that period and the last 7-days of INCREMENTALs.  When the retention is automatically managed and the 3rd FULL is deleted, all of its child DIFFERENTIALs are deleted as well.  The System happily moves along on its own without needed intervention.

If you don't have much image storage, you can set the FULL retention management back to 1-mo, where it will happily keep from 1-2 months of imaging for you.  If you are imaging to hard disks (HDDs), the merge process will be longer than imaging to SSDs, for instance.  On my System, 7-days worth on INCs offer no real System load when it does its merging operation over those 7-days.

Hope this helps!

RE: Merging images performance - chmichael - 10-03-2024

@Froggie

Currently what i am doing:
1) Halseo Backup at 8:00 PM
2) Windows Backup at 2:00 AM

I am currently doing only incremental buckups retaining 7 days while keeping the full.
The problem is i don't want Hasleo to backing up while Windows Backup starts. (So far no side effects but just in case)

I'll try your way to see if it increases the speed time of incremental which i case for working days.
Since i don't care backing up on weekends i'll set the full at first saturday of the month and differentials at saturdays.

Thank you

ps: Attached a screenshot of the schedule.

RE: Merging images performance - Froggie - 10-03-2024

Just so you know, Always keep the first backup has no effect if your managing you images through retention schedules... I alway have it unCHECKed when using a schedule like mine and it does exactly what I ask.  The first full doesn't mean much when you're trimming them through retention.

RE: Merging images performance - chmichael - 10-03-2024

Ok Thanks Smile