Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From System Backup to empty new drive
Created a Emergency Disk on a USB-stick without ticking the option "download PE components"
Created my first System Backup (full) and saved it on another external USB-drive.
Wondering, if my System Drive is completely gone, could I replace the drive with a empty new one, boot from Emergency Disk (USB-stick) and restore the image to the new empty drive?
I've done this many times... no issues, BUT, since no mention of testing that Emergency Disk (USB stick), I would sure do that first.  Exclamation
(10-10-2024, 02:50 AM)Froggie Wrote: I've done this many times... no issues, BUT, since no mention of testing that Emergency Disk (USB stick), I would sure do that first.  Exclamation

Thanks for your help @Froggie,

The stick boots ok and Hasleo starts ok on it, but data on it is just 610MB, thinking Hasleo's USB Boot stick fetches PE components it needs from active System Disk which would not be available  if it is replaced by an empty disk. Could be those PE components are only needed for creating the bootable Emergency disk and if the disk boots correctly not needed anymore.
Could you check if your Emergency boot stick also contains appr. 610 MB?
Thanks!
If the ED UFD boots to Hasleo, you have all you need as far as internally connected disks are concerned.  The PE components it needs it already has.  If it didn't already have them during the ED creation, it would have gone to Microsoft.com (only once) and gotten what it needed... it's now a self-contained Hasleo booting environment, it needs nothing from your System except the images you may want to restore.

You should be good to go.
(10-10-2024, 06:55 AM)Froggie Wrote: If the ED UFD boots to Hasleo, you have all you need as far as internally connected disks are concerned.  The PE components it needs it already has.  If it didn't already have them during the ED creation, it would have gone to Microsoft.com (only once) and gotten what it needed... it's now a self-contained Hasleo booting environment, it needs nothing from your System except the images you may want to restore.

You should be good to go.

I'm a "belt & braces" kind of guy... so more than one backup and more than one emergency disk would be a good idea.
Any single device can fail (usually at the most inconvenient time!)

JD