Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Windows To Go from VMware virtual
#1
Can you use Windows To Go from within a running VMware virtual host to create a bootable USB installation of Windows?

Does it support doing so with it's virtual hard disks?

The file format for VMware virtual disks on Windows is VMDK (Virtual Machine Disk), which uses the .vmdk file extension.
Reply
#2
@AdvancedSetup,

WinToUSB is a Windows application, so it can run inside Windows in a running VMware virtual machine and create a bootable USB drive either from an ISO or by cloning the currently running Windows to the USB drive.

You mentioned the .vmdk format. I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean creating a bootable USB drive directly from a .vmdk?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Reply
#3
(Yesterday, 02:27 AM)admin Wrote: @AdvancedSetup,

You mentioned the .vmdk format. I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean creating a bootable USB drive directly from a .vmdk?

Yes, I know it's not listed but the .vmdk is similar to the Microsoft hyper-v disk image that you say you do support.

But, if I can run it from within a VM host I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

Thank you
Reply
#4
@AdvancedSetup,

I'm really sorry, this requires parsing the .vmdk file format, which WinToUSB doesn't support. Yes, performing the clone directly from within a running virtual machine can achieve the same result.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)