Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
OK to keep doing incremental updates?
#1
My one HDD has two partitions C and E, C contains windows and everything else, D contains only media files.

I made a system backup only of C (due to available ext HDD space), and since I have made a few (maybe 4?) incremental backups to update it.

Now it's looking like I need to do a repair install on my Windows 10 OS, before doing this I want to make sure I can rely on my backup if anything goes wrong, is it ok to rely on the incremental updates or is it better to do a completely new system backup?

Also, I am using free version V5.4.2.1, should I update this first, I don't see an update option so if I download the latest version will it detect the previous updates and settings?

- Thanks
Reply
#2
More is always better, and a full backup will be faster to restore than the original full and all the incremental backups. You should also do Complete Check Image after the backup if you have any doubts about its integrity. Also make sure you have created an Emergency Disk, and tested that you can boot from it and access you backups.
Reply
#3
As @Bespoken already said, make sure to check the image files first if there's any reason to believe the files could be damaged somehow. Usually the restore from incremental backups is still quite fast and you'll probably not see a big difference compared to accessing a full backup directly, unless your incremental backup is huge. At least that's my experience so far with restoring backups.

To answer your other question: Please make sure to always use the latest version available. There were a couple of fixes since v5.4.2.1 so you might avoid problems if you update to the latest version first. All your previous settings and tasks will be kept if you update.

To update, you can use the "Check for updates" option from the main menu (top right):

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1098]

You can also download the latest version and run the installer to update to the latest version:
https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software...e_Free.exe

You'll be asked to uninstall the current version during the update. This is normal, just continue with "Yes" to all questions.

Please also make sure to create a new rescue disk (Tools -> Emergency Disk) so that you can use the latest version of HBS if you need to boot from it.

Cheers,
al3x


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#4
Thanks to @Bespoken and @al3x for the replies. Yes, we recommend using the latest version whenever possible for optimal stability. We also recommend creating an Emergency Disk whenever possible to guard against unexpected situations.
Reply
#5
Thank you all for the quick answers.

I have updated, didn't see that update button in the little bit hidden top menu.

Just to be sure made another new system backup of C, and remade the Emergency Disk USB, just left everything on the default settings.

I've never actually tested the Emergency USB before, I notice it shows the backups as of today, so does that mean I need to update this after every new backup?
Reply
#6
Yes, you'll need to recreate the WinPE/Boot Menu after every update. As part of the update process, the older version is automatically uninstalled and that includes the WinPE/Boot Menu.
Reply
#7
(9 hours ago)alp Wrote: I've never actually tested the Emergency USB before, I notice it shows the backups as of today, so does that mean I need to update this after every new backup?

You don’t need to recreate the Emergency USB Disk every time you create a new backup, you only need to do so after installing a new version of the software.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)