If you have a Windows installation CD/DVD, you can use WinToUSB to install Windows on your USB drive as a Windows To Go
Using WinToUSB to install Windows:
- Click to open the WinToUSB installation file. Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install WinToUSB.
- Connect the destination USB hard drive or flash drive to the computer with an installed copy of WinToUSB.
- Please use the following guidelines to prepare the partitions if you are using an external hard drive to create Windows To Go. You do not need to perform this step if you are using a USB flash drive to create Windows To Go, WinToUSB will help you to format the USB flash drive in setp 7.
- Booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers (Recommended, need version 2.2 or later): Covert the USB drive to MBR partition scheme then create the system and boot partitions. The system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- Booting BIOS-based computers: Covert the USB drive to MBR partition scheme then create the system and boot partitions. The system partition can be FAT32 or NTFS format and the boot partition must be NTFS format. The system partition and boot partition can be the same partition.
- Booting UEFI-based computers: Covert the USB drive to GPT partition scheme then create the EFI system partition (ESP) and boot partition. The EFI system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- The destination boot partition must be a NTFS primary partition and at least 14 GB.
- The destination system partition must be a NTFS/FAT32 primary partition. If the destination system partition is a FAT32 partition, then it must be greater than or equal to 40 MB and less than or equal to 32 GB.
- Run WinToUSB as administrator.
- Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD into your CD/DVD drive. Once the CD/DVD is being detected in Windows, then click button and select the CD/DVD drive in the drop-down list. If your CD/DVD drive is not correctly recognized by WinToUSB, you need to click the button for the program to recognize the CD/DVD drive.
- WinToUSB scans for and lists installable operating systems. If you see the edition of Windows you want to install, select it, then click "Next".
- Select the destination disk in the drop-down list. If your USB drive is not correctly recognized by WinToUSB, you need to click the button for the program to recognize the USB drive. If you are using a USB flash drive to create Windows To Go, a pop-up will appear asking you if you want to format it to continue. Select the partition scheme you want to use and click "Yes" to format it.
- Select the boot partition and system partition from the partition list, the selected partitions will be marked as red.
- Click "Next". After clicking "Next", WinToUSB begins installing Windows.
- It takes some time to install. After installation restart the computer and change BIOS to boot from your USB drive.
- Windows installation starts up and you have to complete all the installation steps. You will have to boot from your USB drive if the Windows Installation restarts the computer.
Follow these simple steps, you can install Windows OS to USB drive with WinToUSB easily.